We call them “special diets,” but eating with some food restriction is becoming the norm in the United States. It’s why we make Red Plate Foods vegan, gluten-free and free from the top 8 major food allergens.
Allergy vs. Intolerance
Allergic reaction: Immediate reaction to food involving the immune system. Maybe immediately life-threatening.
Intolerance: Usually the reaction comes on gradually and involves the digestive or gastrointestinal system. Not immediately life-threatening.
- 30% of Americans would like to cut back on gluten. (npd.com, March 6, 2013)
- Estimated 3 million Americans have celiac disease. (celiaccentral.org)
- Estimated 18 million Americans have gluten sensitivity. (celiaccentral.org)
- Gluten-free shoppers average grocery basket is approximately $100 in sales versus $33 for the average overall grocery basket. (www.nacsonline.com)
- Gluten-free consumers include those with celiac disease, gluten sensitivity/intolerance, autistic spectrum, ADHD, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
- 90% of food allergies are caused by the Top 8 major food allergens (wheat, dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nut, fish & shellfish).
- 8% or 1 in 13 children under the age of 18 are diagnosed with a food allergy in the United States.
- Food allergies affect as many as 15 Million Americans and increased by 50% from 1997 to 2011, with no known cause.
- Every 3 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sent to the emergency room for an allergic reaction to food.
- Teens & young adults are at the highest risk for fatal reactions to food allergies.
(Stats from FARE, foodallergy.org)
Vegetarian and Vegan
- 16 million people in the U.S. are vegetarian, 7.5 million are vegan.
- 33% of the U.S. population eats vegan & vegetarian meals some of the time.
(Harris Interactive Study, 2011)