DIY Hemp Butter Reci
Hemp butter is one delicious, healthy alternative butter for the many people have allergies to the butters made from tree nuts and peanuts. Hemp seeds have also been called the perfect protein, great for those on plant based vegan diets.
Note: Most people with nut allergies do not react to hemp seeds, but please rely on the advice of your allergist regarding the safety of consuming hemp seeds or hemp hearts. We checked with Manitoba Harvest, who verbally confirmed their hemp hearts are processed on a dedicated line with no top allergens in the facility. Read their official allergen statement below.
Hemp hearts are nutty with a slightly sweet flavor and boast nutritional benefits that pack a big punch in a tiny seed! They are actually the heart of the hemp plant seed with the fibrous hull removed.
Hemp Heart Highlights
- Heart healthy with the 3:1 balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids promoting cardiovascular health.
- High in GLA, an essential omega-6 fatty acid that reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system.
- Just 3 tablespoons contain a whopping 10 grams of plant based protein!
- It’s also a complete protein containing all 10 essential amino acids.
- High in insoluble and soluble fiber, hemp hearts keep your digestive system regular and acting as a pre-biotic, or food for healthy gut bacteria.
All these benefits in one little seed? You aren’t hallucinating! Though hemp hearts come from a plant in the cannabis family, those plants contain only trace amounts of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the substance that gives marijuana its psychoactive effect.
So sprinkle those little hemp heart babies around like fairy dust! Throw a tablespoon or two on some salad, toss on cooked pasta with olive oil and herbs, blend in a smoothie, baked in cookies or in this case, made into a smooth, creamy hemp butter.
Hemp Butter Recipe
1.5 cups hemp hearts*
2 T cold pressed virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
- Place hemp hearts in the food processor, no need for roasting first. (I tried a small food chopper, but it was not able to handle the thickness of the butter.)
- Start the food processor and drizzle in olive oil while running.
- Stop bowl after 1-2 minutes, scraping the sides.
- Continue to process hemp heart and oil mixture, stopping to scrape bowl periodically.
- Notes: My Cuisinart processed the hemp butter to a rough butter state in about 5 minutes. To make it perfectly creamy, I processed for a full 15 minutes and scraped the bowl 4 times.
Store hemp butter in the refrigerator to protect the omegas and for freshness. If your hemp butter has gone rancid, it will have a slightly sour odor and taste.